Chief Budget Officer
University of Delaware Library
Under the limited direction of the Executive Vice President, the Chief Budget Director oversees and maintains the University's budget and related daily activities ensuring compliance with policies, procedures, regulations and statutes. The Chief Budget Director manages the Budget Office, regularly conferring and providing consultative advice to Executive Vice President, Vice Presidents and Deans and other departmental administrators in developing the University’s annual budget, while maintaining strong, positive working relationships with the units. Analyzes reviews and makes recommendations on budget requests and options in terms of University policy, programs and objectives; compiles the University’s request for funds from the State of Delaware.
- Participates and provides guidance on long-range fiscal planning and goal setting, and in the design and establishment of strategic financial services, including development, preparation, and interpretation of periodic and ad hoc financial reports and statements.
- Directs, oversees, and integrates the budgeting function and its various components, ensuring that integrated budget outcomes are consistent with and directly support overall strategic planning.
- Incorporates available data into the strategic planning and priority setting processes, determining the nature and level of funding needed to achieve strategic priorities, and establishes budget allocations accordingly.
- Prepares and compiles the Fiscal Year Budget, as well as the University's request for funds to the State of Delaware. Implements the details of the new Budget via information received from University departments.
- Monitors the current Fiscal Year budget and expenditures, and recommends courses of action on various budgetary requests. Alerts University administration of potential over expenditures of funds. Advises on funds availability for construction, remodeling and renovation projects. Accountable to the Executive Vice President for outcome of Budget at Fiscal Year end.
- Performs regular evaluations of actual-to-budget performance among the various components during the budget cycle; monitors individual budgets to ensure consistency with and support of strategic initiatives; provides consultation and support to component principals, and takes corrective action as appropriate.
- Reviews current fiscal reporting systems, processes, and procedures to ensure capture of all information required for auditing purposes and compliance with applicable statutes, rules, and regulations; recommends and ensures implementation of corrective action, policy improvements, and/or procedural changes, as appropriate.
- Designs, implements, and oversees support of budget management and reporting systems, policies, and processes needed to ensure appropriate funding of the organization's strategic priorities.
- Interacts extensively with Senior University leadership regarding policies and issues surrounding the budgeting and expending of University funds.
- Oversees budgetary policies and procedures to include revision, implementation and monitoring for compliance. Communicates the policies to the University community and advises on the content and implementation of other University Policies.
- Designs, establishes, and maintains an organizational structure and staffing to effectively accomplish the organizational unit's overall goals and objectives.
- Serves on University committees as requested.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree and a minimum of eight years’ related experience. Master’s degree preferred. Experience in higher education preferred.
- Advanced analytical, evaluative, and objective critical thinking skills.
- Knowledge of financial planning and budget management principles, policies, laws, and regulations, as applied to institutions of higher education.
- Skill in the integration of institutional budget processes with the overall mission, objectives, and strategic priorities of the enterprise.
- Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
- Strategic planning and leadership skills. Ability to deal credibly and effectively with senior institutional leadership.
- Ability to effectively summarize and present information.
- Knowledge of financial reporting requirements and standards.
- Effective oral and written communication, and interpersonal skills
- Supervisory, management, and organization skills.
- Extensive knowledge of University accounting system and University policies preferred.
- Experience with PeopleSoft Query/Financials, Cognos Report Studio (Reportnet), Microsoft Access, and Excel is desirable.
To Apply: For a complete list of requirements and job duties and to apply online, please visit the UDJOBS website at www.udel.edu/udjobs Job ID 104451
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from minority group members, women, individuals with a disability and veterans. The University's Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html. Employment offers will be conditioned upon successful completion of a criminal background check. A conviction will not necessarily exclude you from employment.