ASSISTANT VICE PRESIDENT FOR FINANCIAL OPERATIONS
In support of the University of Virginia's strategic vision for the future, the Cornerstone Plan, the Vice President for Finance has embarked on a path of organizational excellence with the objective to transform our financial operations with exceptionally performing teams, highly effective processes, and modern systems. We seek an Assistant Vice President for Financial Operations (AVPFO) to lead core business practices at the University, including procurement, payroll, accounting, tax, financial reporting, and internal controls. Specifically, the AVPFO will:
- Build and inspire a high functioning and diverse team (60+) that strives to reach University, and individual goals in an environment of mutual respect and understanding. Create and maintain a culture of change and improvement that aspires excellence.
- Evaluate and transform business practices to ensure critical functions are carried out successfully, including but not limited to:
- strategic sourcing of quality goods and services at competitive prices
- timely and accurate interim and annual financial reporting and annual audit
- error-free payment of employee salaries, wages, and tax withholdings, including the
- consolidation of three payroll teams and processes in partnership with the Health System.
- highly effective internal controls, policies and procedures and financial systems
- financial and tax compliance
- Provide University and school senior leadership with access to accurate and timely information for strategic decision support, as well as delegated reporting needs and responsibilities.
- Envision technology solutions for the future integrated financial systems that best support requirements for financial management, data integrity, compliance, and productivity. Serve as the data steward for financial information, with responsibility for the University's chart of accounts.
- Be a voice in the national conversation on financial and accounting policies and practices to keep abreast of emerging trends and technologies and best practices of top-performing organizations.
Competencies and Qualifications:
The ideal candidate will be an accomplished leader who is forward thinking and has implemented transformative and sustained impact in complex environments. Key competencies include:
- Leader of engaged and committed teams, respecting diversity in people, opinions, and experiences
- Strong collaborator who develops trusted and effective relationships
- Proactive and innovative thinker and problem-solver
- Committed to action, with a sense of urgency to make and implement timely decisions
- Exhibit keen strategic vision, keeping core values at the forefront of decision-making
- Ascribe to highest standards of quality and integrity
- Provide excellent service to internal and external stakeholders
- Exceptional communicator who listens actively, writes effectively, and delivers professional presentations. Able to explain complex financial concepts in understandable terms.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Bachelor's degree is required; advanced degree in business or related field is strongly preferred
- An active CPA, CIA, or CMA license is strongly preferred
- Extensive experience, at least ten years, in financial management.
How to apply: To express interest in this opportunity, please prepare and upload a cover letter stating your interest in the position, along with a resume and three references, on the University's Jobs site (https://jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp?time=1489436295578). If nominating an individual for this opportunity, please include the nominee's contact information and send electronically to Susan Gaines. The position will be carried out with full confidentiality; candidates will be notified before references are contacted.
The University of Virginia is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.