The Senior Manager, Accounts Payable provides managerial support and direction to the accounts payable team and processes through leadership, creative problem solving and solution development. The processes include expense reporting, credit card processing and invoice payments, audit support and various reporting.
• Leads, plans, and provides support to the accounts payable staff and processes.
• Supervises accounts payable manager and assists with training and evaluation of employees to enhance their performance, development and work product.
• Oversees daily, monthly, quarterly and year-end accounts payable processes to ensure deadlines and goals are met.
• Collaborates on development, maintenance and improvement of accounts payable systems and processes.
• Maintains policies and procedures, Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) narratives, and training documentation.
• Approves new vendors and maintains vendor relations.
• Participates in the monthly, quarterly, and annual financial close process.
• Participates in various audits, including meeting with third party auditors, developing strategies, and preparing documentation.
• Provides input on company purchasing policies, ensuring adherence through internal and external resources and communicate updates as necessary.
• Prepares, mails, and maintains the organization’s 1099 reporting.
• Remains current on best practices and industry trends.
• Interacts with various staff, at all levels as required, to meet strategic objectives.
• Conducts research, reporting analysis and special projects as requested.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
• Standard office environment in Charles Town, WV.
• Ability to interact with students, staff, and vendors in a positive and professional manner.
• Ability to lead and mentor a team.
• Strong knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles.
• Ability to understand and implement policies and procedures.
• Ability to solve problems in an ever changing environment.
• Advanced skills with Microsoft Office Suite.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Bachelor's degree or better in Finance or related field.
6 years:Work experience in accounting, preferably in accounts payable
3 years:Management experience required.
Experience with Great Plains and Paramount WorkPlace.
About American Public Education Inc.
American Public University System (APUS), wholly owned by APEI (NASDAQ: APEI), operates through American Military University (AMU) and American Public University (APU).Founded in 1991 by a retired Marine Corps officer and instructor, AMU was designed to accommodate the military’s unique educational needs. AMU is the nation’s number one provider of higher education to the U.S. armed forces according to the July 2012 Military Times report based on tuition assistance enrollment data from the Air Force, Army, Army National Guard, Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard.American Public University System is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association. APUS offers affordable tuition while providing the best higher education and distance learning experience possible to its students and is recognized by the Sloan Consortium for best practices in online education.Mission: To provide high quality higher education with emphasis on educating the nation’s military and public service communities by offering respected, relevant, accessible and affordable, student-focused online programs that prepare them for service and leadership in a diverse, global society.