1. Operational Management: Lead staff in day-to-day operations and strategic management activities for their functional areas, and assist with planning, implementation, and assessment during peak periods for each subunit.
2. People Management: Hire, train, onboard and manage staff. This includes providing ongoing feedback, coaching, mentoring and evaluating performance. Identify and encourage participation in professional development and skill building opportunities for staff.
3. Business Process Improvement: Identify, define, and document business process and application requirements in order to improve workflow and support customer service initiatives. Serve as primary stakeholder for housing-related software and hardware systems and needs.
4. Housing Assignments and Billing Oversight: Provide leadership and strategic oversight of housing assignments and billing functional areas of Housing department, including occupancy planning and projections, community placements, student room and roommate assignment processes, and all associated billing, reporting, and auditing systems and requirements.
5. Residential Facilities Oversight: Provide leadership and strategic oversight of all residence hall facility furnishings, operations, renovations, and new construction projects.
6. Customer Service and Support: Provide leadership and guidance to housing team for continuous process improvement to ensure a high-quality end user experience through surveys, focus groups, and integrating feed back into operations planning.
7. Leadership and Strategy Planning: Work closely with the AVP of Finance and Administration to complete occupancy and revenue modeling for on campus and master lease property. Participate in regular planning meetings with the Director of Residence Life, other leadership in the Office of Campus Life and various campus partners to ensure the coordination of integrated housing operations.
8. Housing Communications Oversight: Provide leadership and strategic oversight of communications with resident students and external audiences, including electronic, web, social media, and other methods of communicating important information, processes, procedures, and other messages related to Housing and Residence Education departments.
This position reports directly to the AVP of Finance and Administration for the Office of Campus Life and Inclusive Excellence. The Director of Housing is a full-time staff position responsible for the oversight of all departmental operational processes, technology and financial operations to generate over $45 million in housing revenues and vendor sales and commissions annually.
This person supervises two full-time Associate Directors and is responsible for the day-to-day and strategic oversight of housing business operations, student housing assignments, billing, residential facilities furnishings, and renovation and new construction planning.
The position has decision-making and problem-solving responsibilities and the incumbent will demonstrate the management acumen to function independently, working closely with supervisor on strategy planning and the resolution of major issues. Direct supervision of 2 full-time staff and indirect supervision of 6 full-time staff and student workers.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Team Leader/Consultant B.
Position may require working additional or non-traditional hours, including weekends and/or evenings.
$100,000 - $110,000/year; to commensurate with experience.
Required Education and Experience
Master's degree or equivalent.
5-8 years of relevant experience.
Preferred Education and Experience
8-10 years of relevant experience.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: An ability to welcome, value, and affirm individuals of all identities and experiences, and a commitment to ensure they are understood, appreciated, and fully included in the university community.
Student Services Skills: Ability to serve as bridge to services, intervene and/or advocate on students’ behalf with offices across campus to support needs, drive engagement and empower students to achieve their goals.
Advanced Communication: Ability to express oneself clearly and concisely, using language with precision; constructing logical arguments; accurate note taking, editing and summarizing; and writing reports or correspondence free of spelling and grammatical errors. Ability to engage in active and empathetic listening and communicate with a service minded orientation.
Discretion, Tact and Diplomacy: Ability to exercise discretion, tact and diplomacy while interacting with students, faculty, university staff, management, internship employers and other stakeholders on confidential and/or sensitive matters.
Team Leadership: Ability to effectively lead a team of employees which includes planning, coordinating, and monitoring the work of others assigned on a project or program basis, providing technical guidance, coaching and feedback, and building effective work relationships.
Standard Office Software: Skill using email, word processing, spreadsheet/ data analysis and presentation development software applications such as Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint while preparing briefings, reports, and presentations.
Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful completion of a background check.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
American University is a student-centered research institution located in Washington, DC, with highly-ranked schools and colleges, internationally-renowned faculty, and a reputation for creating meaningful change in the world. Our students distinguish themselves for their service, leadership, and ability to rethink global and domestic challenges and opportunities.
At AU passion becomes action; students actively engage in the world around them; and the leaders of today train the leaders of tomorrow.