Director, Student Billing Services and Campus Cashiering
University of California Merced
Location: Merced, California
Type: Full Time
4 Year Degree
Internal Number: 3989310
Director, Student Billing Services and Campus Cashiering
University of California Merced
Job ID 50361
Full/Part Time Full Time
The University of California, Merced is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role. This range takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to experience, skills, knowledge, abilities, education, licensure and certifications, and other business and organizational needs. It is not typical for an individual to be offered a salary at or near the top of the range for a position. Salary offers are determined based on final candidate qualifications and experience. The budgeted salary or hourly range that the University reasonably expects to pay for this position is $95,000 - $120,000.
Job Closing Date
Remote/Hybrid eligibility: This position is approved as Hybrid.
Initial Applicant Review will take place on or around April 4, 2023. Posting may close any time after initial review.
About UC Merced
The University of California, Merced, is the newest of the University of California system's 10 campuses and the first American research university built in the 21st century. With more than 9,000 undergraduate and graduate students, UC Merced offers an environment that combines a commitment to diversity, inclusion, collaboration, and professional development. With bachelor's, master's and doctoral degree programs, strong research and academic partnerships, and community involvement, the UC Merced campus is continually evolving and requires talented, knowledgeable, and dynamic educators, researchers, management and staff.
Ranked among the best public universities in the nation by U.S. News and World Report, UC Merced is uniquely equipped to provide educational opportunities for highly qualified students from the San Joaquin Valley and throughout California. The campus enjoys a special connection with nearby Yosemite National Park, is on the cutting edge of sustainability in construction and design and supports the economic development of Merced and the region.
In Fall 2016, UC Merced broke ground on a $1.3 billion public-private partnership that is unprecedented in higher education. The Merced 2020 Project nearly doubled the physical capacity of the campus, enhancing academic distinction, student success and research excellence. In 2018, UC Merced opened the Downtown Campus Center, a $33 million, three-story administrative building located in the heart of Merced.
To set the course of UC Merced's evolution, in 2021 UC Merced will enact its first-ever 10-year strategic plan. This plan will guide how the values of equity and justice influence our pathway toward earning Carnegie R1 research status, growing enrollment, upholding our identity as a minority-serving institution, and operationalizing how commitments to equity, diversity and inclusion are enacted within each campus unit. UC Merced is expected to engage in sophisticated thinking, planning, and implementation of actions that effectively diversify the professoriate and staff, improve campus climate for all campus constituency groups, and strengthen our equity, diversity, and inclusion infrastructure and capacity.
About the Job
Reporting to the AVC/Controller, the Director of Student Billing Services & Campus Cashiering manages, through subordinates, the Student Billing Services (SBS) and Cashiering departments and has campus-wide responsibility to deliver the full scope of services and related systems for operational support, reconciliation, analysis, reporting, and problem-solving in the functional areas listed above. Receives assignments in the form of objects and determines how to use resources to meet schedules and goals.
Establishes objectives and work plans, and delegates assignments to subordinates. Recommends changes to policies and establishes procedures that affect immediate organization(s). Works on issues of diverse scope where analysis of information requires evaluation of multiple factors including an understanding of current business trends. Follows processes and operational policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions. Provides guidance to subordinates to achieve goals in accordance with established policies.
Erroneous decisions or failure to achieve goals results in additional costs and personnel, and serious delays in overall schedules. Maintains student accounts for all UC Merced students. Manages consolidated billing, all campus collections for past due accounts, cashiering services, and student billing services accounting for the campus, including tuition, fees, housing, dining, and other miscellaneous services. Administers the campus Deferred Payment Plan. Ensures the timely processing of student refunds. Develops, implements, and monitors internal controls as required to maintain the integrity of billing and collections systems and operations in conformance with University policy and regulatory requirements. Advise senior management on matters concerning several. functional areas, departments, and/or customers. This position must stay abreast of regulatory standards. (Department of Education), reporting requirements, and UC policies and procedures to ensure accurate handling of student fees and financial aid.
1. Management of Staff - Provides leadership, direction, and expertise to subordinates to achieve goals. Establishes, interprets, applies, and may recommend changes to policy related to Student Billing and Cashiering Services. Directs SBS and Cashiering staff to complete assignments using established guidelines, procedures, and standards. Provides annual performance reviews of direct reports. Evaluates the workload of staff and rebalances as appropriate. Provides career development, encourages training opportunities, and cross-training of positions. Ensures staff keeps departmental written procedures up to date. When necessary, works through difficult personnel issues including discipline and discharge. Handles employee complaints when appropriate. Student Account and Payment Systems - Ensure that Banner, Oracle, and Cashnet systems are up to date and that all upgrades are thoroughly tested prior to implementation. Responsible for creating metrics and reporting through the development of queries from the Banner database using population selection and business intelligence tools to support the needs of SBS. Responsible for ongoing reconciliation of data between Banner and Oracle systems. These functions may also be performed through direction to subordinate staff. Manage the annual preparation of IRS Form 1098-T file and assist Tax as needed with the IRS Form 1042 tax withholding and reporting.
2. Customer Service - Directs SBS and Cashiering staff in providing excellent customer service to students, their parents, and other campus departments. Develops and fosters a cooperative working relationship with the University Registrar and Directors of Admissions, Financial Aid, General Accounting, and Auxiliary Services. Seeks opportunities for greater efficiency through process improvement reviews all the services rendered to customers and ensures SBS and Cashiering website information is current and accurate.
3. Fund Administration - Directs staff in developing recommendations for Title IV fund drawdown requests and ensures that drawdown is completed accurately and in a timely manner. Manages through subordinate staff that FlSAP reporting, encompassing a variety of financial aid programs, ensures that reporting is done accurately, timely, and in conformance with relevant federal and state regulations.
4. Technical Support - Develops diagnostic reports and other technical tools to simplify and/or automate data interchange between the Banner system and other financial and auxiliary systems. Maintains the schedule and manages all automated Banner SBS jobs.
5. Training- Develops and oversees training of staff in SBS and Cashiering. Additionally, through subordinate staff, oversees the development of student financial literacy tools to be used by students and potentially parents and/or other campus departments for training.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited university in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, or a related field (required); and
Five years of directly related experience in financial services or 9 years equivalent experience, education, and training (required).
Critical Knowledge and Competencies:
Broad knowledge of financial transactions and financial systems, as well as related policy, accounting, and regulatory compliance requirements.
Must have strong skills using Microsoft Office and common desktop/web applications.
Position requires strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively across the organization at all levels.
Skills must include sophisticated service orientation, the ability to multi-task effectively in a varied, high-volume environment, sound judgment and decision-making, reasoning, the ability to develop original ideas to solve problems, and effective verbal and written communication skills.
Experience with management of Title IV or other financial aid funding sources. Preferred
Background check and fingerprinting will be required.
How to Apply: An online application is required for each position to apply.The University of California, Merced is aware that some web-based application processes may be cumbersome for differently abled applicants. Where appropriate, alternative accommodations will be provided. For applicants with disabilities who need additional assistance using TAM, or reasonable accommodations during the interview or search process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Employment Opportunity: The University of California, Merced is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, pregnancy, or status as a disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran, or other protected categories covered by the UC Nondiscrimination and Affirmative Action Policy. UC Merced intentionally promotes and maintains a discrimination- and harassment-free workplace by demonstrating it neither condones nor tolerates employment practices that discriminate against or harass any person or specific group of persons on the basis listed above. We seek candidates who will support our vision to cultivate a vibrant, equity-minded, inclusive excellence university community. When applying to UC Merced, we strongly encourage you to reflect on our Principles of Community and our 2021 strategic plan.
Vaccination Program Policy:
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Policy. All Covered Individuals under the policy must provide proof of Full Vaccination or, if applicable, submit a request for Exception (based on Medical Exemption, Disability, and/or Religious Objection) or Deferral (based on pregnancy) no later than the applicable deadline. For new University of California employees, the applicable deadline is 14 days after their first date of employment.
Smoke and Tobacco Free Policy: The University of California, Merced is a smoke and tobacco free workplace. Information and the Smoke and Tobacco Free policy is available at http://smokefree.ucmerced.edu.
E-Verify: All employers who receive Federal contracts and grants are required to comply with E-Verify, an Internet-based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA). E-Verify electronically verifies employment eligibility by comparing information provided on the I-9 form to records in the DHS and SSA databases. Certain positions funded by federal contracts/subcontracts requires UC Merced to notify job applicants that an E-Verify check will be conducted and the successful candidate must pass the E-Verify check.