Job Description Summary
The Director of Internal Audit is the chief internal auditor for Michigan Technological University and provides leadership and coordination of internal and external audit operations for the University. The position reports functionally to the Board of Trustees and administratively to the President of the University.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
● Perform periodic risk assessments, at least once annually, to identify areas of potential vulnerability and on which to conduct internal audits.
● Develop an annual audit plan based on risk assessment and consultation with university management.
● Conduct internal control assessments and process audits of areas identified on the annual audit plan as well as ad hoc audits requested by management.
● Prepare and distribute formal reports of all control assessments and audits to the reviewed department and up the chain of responsibility to include the University President.
● Maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information.
● Inform the President and other senior administration of significant events in a timely manner
● Serve as a resource for university personnel on internal controls and best practices.
● Determine compliance with University policies, standards for professional practice, state and federal laws, contractual obligations, and sound business practices.
● Manage the University’s anonymous hotline reporting system.
● Conduct investigations of fraud, waste, and abuse when appropriate.
● Develop annual departmental budget and manage departmental expenses to remain within budgeted limits.
● Select, train, develop, and supervise the department’s regular and student worker(s).
● Serve on various university committees.
● Attend and present at Board of Trustees Audit and Finance Committee meetings
● Maintain a collaborative atmosphere between the Internal Audit department and various university departments and personnel.
● Attend training to facilitate professional development and maintain professional certifications.
● Other reasonable duties as assigned.
● Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work. Actively engage in University continuous improvement initiatives. **
Required Education, Certifications, Licensures (minimum requirements)
● Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, Business, or a related field from an accredited college or university.
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
● 5 years of progressive experience in a business, financial, or auditing setting.
● Computer skills to include word, spreadsheet, and analytic tools.
● Supervisory experience.
Desirable Education and/or Experience
● Internal audit experience in higher education.
● CPA, CIA, CISA, CFE and/or relevant professional certification.
● Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business, or a related field from an accredited college or university.
● Prior experience working in an academic environment or other complex organization.
● Advanced level of computer skills; familiarity with Banner preferred.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)
● Familiarity with the Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing of the Institute of Internal Auditors.
● Excellent interpersonal, customer service, oral/written communication, and presentation skills.
● Demonstrated organizational and problem-solving skills.
● Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as within a collaborative team model.
● Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff.
● Demonstrated commitment to contribute to a safe work environment.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
● Demonstrated knowledge of university policy and procedures.
● Advanced level of knowledge of auditing concepts, practices and procedures
● Ability to work effectively with diverse constituency groups
● Knowledge of financial/business analysis techniques
● Knowledge of organizational structure, workflow, and operating procedures
● Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
● Knowledge of current changes and/or developments in applicable federal, state, local laws and university policies and procedures.
● Ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands with effective time management skills - performing audits and supervising audit staff projects.
● Demonstrated detail oriented ability with strong analytical skills to gather pertinent information and review against various policies and procedures for compliance. Taking compiled information/data and interpreting that data into supportable findings.
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
Required Training and Other Conditions of Employment
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 4 required trainings; additional training may be required by the department.
Required University Training:
Employee Safety Overview
Anti-Harassment, Discrimination, Retaliation Training
Annual Data Security Training
- Annual Title IX Training
Offers of employment are contingent upon and not considered finalized until the required background check has been performed and the results received and assessed.
Other Conditions of Employment:
The successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment. Visa sponsorship is unavailable at this time. This is not an E-Verified Position.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities
|Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) % (1=100%) || |
Negotiable, No less than $80,000
Title of Position Supervisor
|Internal and External |
Dependent on Funding
Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)